NXP Announces GreenChip for Low-Cost LED Lamps up to 10W
The SSL2115x enables small form-factor LED drivers, using primary-side sensing to regulate current, and offering integrated LED open/short protections, an internal 700V MOSFET, and a circuit enabling start-up directly from the rectified mains voltage. With the use of an additional valley fill circuit, the SSL2115x series can offer a power factor of approximately 0.9.
“To make LED lamps a viable replacement for incandescent light bulbs on a large scale, many manufacturers are exploring ways to bring the average selling price below the $10 mark. At the same time, the luminous efficacy of LEDs is improving steadily, requiring less power to emit more lumens,” said Ryan Zahn, general manager, lighting solutions product line, NXP Semiconductors. “By offering a compact, low-cost solution for driving LED lamps up to 10W, we are broadening our portfolio of options for lighting manufacturers focused on delivering both energy savings and value to a broad customer base worldwide.”
The new SSL2115x series driver ICs are designed for ultra-low-cost, non-dimmable LEDs using isolated flyback and non-isolated buck-boost topologies, powering up to 5W (SSL21151) and 10W (SSL21153), with a small PCB footprint. Key features include:
- Low output ripple ˂1%
- Power factor (PF): 0.6 or ~0.9 using valley fill
- Internal protections, including over-temperature protection (OTP), LED short protection, LED open protection, and undervoltage lockout protection (UVLO)
- Integrated 700V MOSFET
- Primary-side sensing without an optocoupler
- Low component count, with a complete application requiring only 25 components and fitting in GU10 casing
- Compatibility with IEC 61000-3-2 Harmonics Standards
- EMC compliance: Class B CISPR22 and FCC Part 15
- Compact SO7 package
Qualification samples of the GreenChip SSL21151 and SSL21153 driver ICs for high-performance non-dimmable LED applications are now available for ordering, with volume production scheduled to begin in July 2012.
- SSL21151 product information: http://www.nxp.com/pip/SSL21151T
- SSL21153 product information: http://www.nxp.com/pip/SSL21153T
- SSL2115x data sheet: http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SSL2115X.pdf
- GreenChip SSL products from NXP: http://www.nxp.com/greenchip/ssl
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.2 billion in 2011. Additional information can be found by visiting www.nxp.com.